The Vitality U19 Club T20 competition was developed through player insight to combat a national trend within clubs – young players dropping out of the game after U15s.
The insight we gathered from 1000 young players (current and lapsed) pointed to these key factors:
•After U15s age group cricket, there is no specific offer for young players
•16–19 year olds want to play with their friends
•Young players are keen to develop their own skills by taking more responsibility (volunteering)
•They want short formats, with coloured kit and lively atmosphere where their friends can watch
With the Vitality T20 Blast launching in 2014, the ECB decided to take on board the feedback from the young players, and encourage clubs to ‘bring the Blast’ to their home fixtures for the U19 Club competition.
Throughout this summer, hundreds of clubs across England and Wales will take part in the Vitality U19 Club T20. It is a vibrant competition that lets young players take ownership in their club. This is all keeping U19 players in club cricket and giving them the cricketing experience they want – fast lively matches, played with and against their friends, a great social atmosphere and a chance to make the club look and feel different for one night a week.
Everything you need to know about the Vitality U19 Club T20 for this season can be found at the Competition Home page – this includes:
- All fixtures, results and league tables for the 2017 season
- All individual player stats from the competition so far
- Access to NatWest U19 T20 music ‘stings’ – to create that special atmosphere at matches
- Link to the Gray-Nicolls U19 T20 Club Shop – get yourself a nice bright T20 kit!
- Details of our Facebook Group and Tweet Deck for #U19T20
- All competition documents – Rules and Regs / Activation Packs / Guidance on Play-Cricket.com
Northamptonshire’s 2017 Finals day was held at the County Ground, and won by ON’s Qube XI