DBS – Formerly CRB:
One 1st December 2012 the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and the Independence Safeguarding Authority (ISA) merged to form the Disclosure and Barring Services.
From the 23rd October 2017 an new system of applying for a DBS will be in place. This is completed online, and has to be started by an accredited DBS verifier within cricket who knows the applicant and the role that they are carrying out. In order to make this easier every Club Welfare Officer in Northamptonshire will have been invited to become a DBS verifier. Therefore, anyone wishing to apply for/renew their DBS should initiate the process by talking to their Club Welfare Officer.
The new system has a number of advantages over the old paper application it replaces:
- It is quick and simple to use.
- Checks return much more quickly and in the majority of cases are uploaded onto the ECB database immediately.
- All volunteers will be automatically registered with the Online Update service unless they opt not to do so. This will mean, for most, never having to repeat the process.
- Applicants with a clear DBS certificate will not need to send it anywhere.
- The system generates and send reminders to applicants if they have not completed their application.
- As the process has to be initiated by somebody who knows the applicant, it provides the game with an extra level of security, and prevents anyone from falsely obtaining an ECB DBS certificate if they are not actually involved in cricket.
The roles in cricket that require ECB Vetting are:
- Welfare Officer
- Volunteer Co-ordinator
- Coach (Volunteer or paid, assistant or lead)
- Colt/Junior Manager
- Age group manager
- Open-age team captain
- Junior supervisor
- First aider/physiotherapist/medical support
Online applications are currently being accepted for all positions except umpires and scorers; the ECB are working closely with the ACO and Umpires and Scorers will be added to the system soon.
DBS certificates need to be renewed every 3 years.
Overseas persons who will be working with U18 players, such as Overseas players who coach need to follow a different procedure. Please contact Patricia on patricia.Hankins@nccc.co.uk to request the correct form.
For any enquiries on the process for obtaining a DBS check please contact email@example.com